Monday, April 12, 2010

Dancing Memories



This past weekend was the BYU Ballroom Dance Company's 50th Reunion. It just brought back a flood of memories and thoughts and feelings. That was such a magical time in my life. I worked hard and had a lot of fun. My parent's supported this "hobby" 100% so I was able to do a lot of things and have a great experience. I am so grateful for this. Eventually, dancing even led me to my husband and now we have a wonderful family and are starting the dancing tradition with our children. I have had many phases in dancing - here is the first - dancing as a competitor. My parents came to pretty much every competition I was in - from San Fransisco to Boston. How did I get so lucky to have such great parents?


My Grama Jane (my dad's mom) always said I got my dancing genes from her. She was able to come to many competitions. I think my Aunt was probably my biggest fan after my parents. They always insisted that my trophies be in any pictures they took with me after my comps.

Mom and Dad, I know this is just a drop in the bucket of the things you have done for me but thank you so much for making this period in my life so wonderful. You may take the credit for supporting me not only financially, but mentally and emotionally as well. And let's not forget all those hours of rhine-stoning my dresses. I must say I did work very very hard to get where I did - but you may take credit for that as well - for teaching me to work hard to get what I wanted. I am grateful for my competing years and all the wonderful experiences I had. I am truly blessed to have parent's who let me live the dream!

2 comments:

Walt and Eileen said...

Julie, this post brings back a flood of wonderful memories for us, too. You were poetry in motion when you danced. And your BYU tour team director told us you and Richard were cheated out of 1st or 2nd place that year in Boston you got 3rd in the nation.
We loved being a part of it all.
Love, Mom & Dad

SAYDA said...

You look amazing. I really would love to see you dance one of these days. You still look amazing!