Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wyoming Trek, Part 2

John on top of Independence Rock
Martin's Cove in the background
John and Rick pulling a handcart

I have avoided writing too much about the inspirational part of our trek because words cannot do it justice. To be where so many went through those both horrific and amazing experiences is very humbling. We had quite a bit of wind and rain and for some, ripped tents, but there is just no complaining on this trip. To complain is to be so ungrateful of all the pioneers went through - the starvation, the freezing, the death.

The most touching part for me was to hear about the mother's and their children. Some buried husbands and had to trek on alone - and most of the time buried other children along the way. To imagine them trying to pull a handcart with one hand and holding a small baby in the other is almost too much to bear.

They got to the point where they could not offer their children food, warm clothing or shelter. The only thing they could offer their children was actually the greatest of all - the knowledge of the Savior and His gospel. If only I would be so steadfast and and continue on through my small adversities.

I left the trek with a greater conviction to teach my children the gospel and to be stronger in my faith. I'm very lucky to have a wonderful husband who is alive and at my side to help me.

1 comment:

The Fishers said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I wish that I would've been able to do a trek. I think I had Thursday night rehearsals or something. And someone wouldn't let me miss them. Wonder who that was. Glad you had a good time.