Friday, February 18, 2011

Yikes!


So, I can hardly look at the above pictures. I know it's not gory and bloody, but it's the thought that an entire toothpick is jammed into my little girl's knee...

On Valentine's Day I got a call from the school saying Jacee was sick - she had complained of a sore throat on Sunday so I wasn't entirely surprised. I got to the school and she came out of the nurses room, limping...what? Why would a sore throat make her limp? And she was as white as a sheet. After a few steps, I picked her up and carried her because she could hardly walk. As soon as we got outside she started crying and told me she had a toothpick stuck in her knee...what? I set her in the car and sure enough, there was a little thing poking out through her pants. I tried to pull it out but it was stuck fast.

She said it was time to start cleaning up for her Valentine's Day Party and she dropped to the ground under her desk to pick up trash and landed right on the toothpick. She tried to pull it out but couldn't. She just went up to her teacher and said she was sick - she was pure white (now we know she was in shock) so the teacher sent her to the office. She said she tried to sit so no one would notice the toothpick sticking out of her pants - she didn't want anyone to touch it.

Anyway...

We raced to the Dr. office and he pushed around a little bit and said he was not going to try to pull it out because it was in so deep and could be in a joint so off we went to the ER...and out came the pliers. The ER dr. gave Jacee the option of deadening it or just going for it - she just went for it! The dr. told John to distract her and not let her look and then he just yanked it out with pliers. We got an X-ray but it's hard to detect any wood on X-rays so we are just suppose to watch it for infection.

Her knee is very puffy and swollen but no redness. Today (Friday) is her first day back at school. (In addition to not being able to walk very well, she has thrown up everyday.) She has been a trooper. She was not very brave at the Dr. office but as soon as it was decided she needed to go to the ER she got all brave and tough about it. Of course we went to Cafe Rio afterwards to celebrate her bravery.

I'm still a little nervous about all the swelling - she is on anti-biotics and we went for a follow-up appt yesterday and the Dr. didn't seem concerned. Glad she went to school today, we'll see how long she lasts. Love you Jacee!


3 comments:

SAYDA said...

Yikes is right Julie! That would have totally freaked me out. That looks terrible! Poor, poor baby!!! AND then not to tell anyone when it happened just breaks my heart Julie. I'm glad she's on antibiotics and that she is getting better. What a brave little princess.

The Peterson's said...

Holy Smokes! She is a trooper! Wow, I can't believe she didn't tell anybody. Just read Johns Email. Poor poor girl. Hope the infection gets better soon and she is all better quick. Tell her that we love her and wish her a speedy recovery. We want to see an "im all healed" picture complete with the dance pose when she feels better :)

bipashamama said...

This just happened to my daughter today! And she is at the ER now trying to get the splinter out with my husband... so I am home (worrying!). Thank you for blogging about this. It gives me peace of mind.... Fellow California blogger.