Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Valentine's Day

 I love traditions. I grew up in a house rich in tradition.  Little did I realize at the time, we had traditions because my mom made sure they happened, each and every year.  She made sure she was ready when the annual time came for whatever tradition was called for.  This means that while sitting in FHE, she didn't all of a sudden have an idea and try to pull it off.  So, in trying to create a little of the magical childhood I had, I have tried to start a few traditions of my own.  Now, you may think that sound easy, and it usually is when I am thinking about them in my head, but who's going to bake the cookies and cut out the hearts and all that prep?  For those of you who know me best, you know I have many, many talents :) but advanced prep isn't one of them.  I will say I have gotten a teensy bit better over the years but still not great. (It's not that I don't want to cook a wonderful hot meal for my husband every night...I just haven't done any prep work.)  Anyway...this year I decided to try a new tradition - for the FHE before Valentine's Day - we are going to give someone a heart attack (tape paper hearts all over their door and leave a plate of sugar cookies.)  We made the heart and cookies and drove over to the Sorensen's house.  Maddie opted to stay in the car, Jackson wanted to stay in the car but I kinda forced him to come.
It's funny how scared you get.  We snuck up to the door, started taping on hearts as fast as we could.  As soon as Jacee was done, she rang the door bell - that little stinker!  The rest of us took off like a shot.  I never seen Jackson run so fast!  We did make a clean get away even though we were out of breath and our hearts were beating a little faster than normal!

You may be wondering about my photos...well, we had so many hearts that I just had the kids tape them all over their bodies so we could get them over to the Sorensen's.  When I tried to take pics, there was no possible way the kids could withstand the brightness of the flash so they each got a great pic with eyes closed.  Jacee's is especially funny!
Now onto the main event - Valentine's Day!  We had our usual pink waffles and red goblets for breakfast.  John and I have decided we will get them one Valentine treat (Dove Hearts!) and one toy.  Jackson got Mario Cart and Jacee and Maddie got Monster High dolls.  I got a new pair of tennis shoes and John got a massage.
Cheers to another great Valentine's Day!

No comments: