Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Momma

While I am trying to navigate my way through motherhood, it is a bit overwhelming to write about my own mom who did such a beautiful job raising 7 highly spirited children. I have so many moments where I look back at my own mother in certain situations and realizing I am falling dreadfully short, but feel relieved that I still have her to call and talk to when I need: advice, a recipe, a loving voice, a funny story, any piece of trivia - large or small, scripture references, dates, you name it - she knows it!

I know I get my love of family from my mom. She loves to be together and loves her children with a ferocity that would rival a lion and her cubs. I hope I am as good an advocate for my children as she has been with us.

She is supportive and funny and will listen for hours on end. She loves to spoil everyone and will always remember your favorite candybar.

It was such a blessing to live with them for a short time and very, very hard when they left. I don't know if it is harder that I am missing her or watching my children miss her. Jacee talks about them constantly and Maddie is always so excited to see a picture of Gamma and Poppa. Whenever I talk about Grandparents, Jack will always ask, "Which ones?" like my mom and dad will be back home anytime so why wouldn't they be the ones meeting us at the park.

I also realized how sheltered my kids are and it was so great to live with my parents so my kids would learn there are a greater variety of foods - some of which are actually green! And so many other things.
Now that we may move away again, I am especially grateful my children got to know Grama Mission on a very special level. They will always have a special place in their heart for her.

We walked in the house the other day and Jacee said, "It smells like it use to - like when it was Grama's house - I miss that." We're grateful to be in this house but Jacee just likes to have Grama's house to go to.

I'm grateful my mom worked so hard to create so many traditions for our family. My husband is getting better at the birthday tradition. He gets it right about every other year. There are countless others and I find myself trying to imitate them. (How many of my siblings do water guns, paddle ball, bubbles, and sunglasses in their Easter Baskets?)


Mom, this Mother's Day tribute is a little late, but it is still full of love. I love you and miss you. Can't wait until you get home.

3 comments:

Walt and Eileen said...

Fun photos...where'd you get them
all?
I'm usin' my new electronic, wireless mouse and it's great!!!
Thanks, Julie, and everyone for the fun Mother's Day surprise.
Love, Mom

Walt and Eileen said...

"Nice comments Julie said about you with your photos," Walt said on the way to the office this morning.
"Oh, I just saw photos," I replied.
"She's now added commentary," he said.
Thank you, Julie, for these nice comments. And thanks for not mentioning all my failures. Having such a wonderful daughter as you makes being a Mom all worth it!
We miss you and John and your kids...as well as everyone else. Some days are harder than others.
Love from 7000 miles away, Mom

Jogusboy said...

You are such a great lady, Grama Mission.

Julie, thanks for the awesome tribute. :)