Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hmmm, That's a Funny Lookin' Piece of Garbage...


It was a beautiful Fall afternoon. John and I decided it was time to get some yard work done before the 1st snow fall. We started to prune bushes, put away patio chairs, and just tidy things up. I had been avoiding our window wells because they are so deep and I just don't like them...but it was time. So I climbed down in two of them, cleared away the weeds and trash and was onto my third. There was a big yogurt box - so I picked that up and tossed it out, and then I went to pick up the next piece of trash. I kid you not - my hand was about 2 inches from this thing before I really looked at it and thought - Hmmm, that's a funny lookin' piece of garbage! My synapses finally started firing and I started yelling for John. And I think I should go as Super Man for Halloween because I flew up and out of the window well in a single bound! We had had a serious cold snap during the previous couple of days so that snake was really sluggish. At first we thought it was dead, but then it started to move very slowly. John is about as squeamish as I am, so we consider ourselves lucky that he actually did pick it up with the shovel and threw it over the fence. No, he did not kill it, so I am always looking for it to come back to it's nice warm bed in our window well. So far so good.

7 comments:

The VIPs said...

if I found that in our yard I WOULD DIE : )

Nat said...

we happen to have a great burial ground for such creatures! it fertilizes your ground you know!

Q said...

Who found it, you or the kids, and what was your reacion? Is it in your window well; and what did you do with it?

SAYDA said...

I know I would die too if I saw that. SCARY!!! Is it poisonous? Julie, I hate snakes!

Anonymous said...

sick! I hate snakes!

Brewer Bunch said...

EWWWWWW!!!! I would probably have fainted on the spot! Great, now I am scared to clean out our window wells!

Walt and Eileen said...

Heaven's to Betsy! I just saw this...catching up on blogs after our 7 day adventures with Janie, Daniel, Katie & Heidi here.
I'm still sick to my stomach as I type this. Glad you got otta there in one leap!
I'd never clean window wells again.
Love, Mom
Dad didn't even warn me that he had seen this. You know how he loathes,detests,doesn't like snakes at all!