Friday, December 26, 2008

What's to Complain About?

As I sit and feel sorry for myself because I have not been involved with all the joviality of the extended family parties because of snow covered roads, I listen to my children play contentedly with each other at the kitchen table. The toys are still new, the holiday spirit still lives and they chatter to one another, "Pass the zizzors please." "Wow, good job." "Is that for me?" What I don't hear is, "Why aren't we in Utah?" "Aren't we going to a party?" "I'm bored." My children have had a wonderful Christmas and feel loved and secure with our little family. They don't feel anything is missing, this is their life, the five of us. Even though I do miss all the fun and socializing, I am sitting here fully content for the first time in two days (it could be that Jack wanted me to open some play dough and I got three kisses in return!) Even though my kids love their cousins, they love being home, they are home-bodies and I hope they always will be. (Though in an effort to feel busy I have cleaned and boxed up all the Christmas - all that is left are the lights on the front tree. Couches are even back to their rightful places - and my husband helped the entire time!)

4 comments:

Chel said...

Great post, Julie...so true. For our girls, they feel so out of place when they go anywhere for holidays :)

Q said...

Glad you're having a wonderful Christmas with your cute little family.

Jogusboy said...

We missed you at the party. I'm glad you and your family feels loved and content. Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

That is what Christmas is all about! Isn't it? We are waiting for our Richie. His plane gets to SLC at 9:00pm. Can't wait for him and his little family to be here safe.I liked your post Julie.