Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Dad

I know I'm always late on these things -but better late than never! Just a few words about my wonderful father. First - he picked one heck of a wife!

All the grandchildren love him dearly. My little Maddie seemed to bond with him right away. It sure was a wonderful time living with them and having my children create a special bond with Grampa Mission.

He was willing to do projects for my kids that were fun and dirty. We cleared out the sandbox and got all new sand. I'm not sure what he was thinking everytime I suggested a new project - but he never said no! (New sand, pumpkin patch, paint the laundry room, new floors for the bathrooms, paint the swingset...the list goes on!)

He was there for the birth of all three of my children. It was very comforting to have my dad and my doctor there for all the questions that arise when a newborn is in the house.

We love traditions and my parents seem to have a lot of them. One is the Cassia County Fair and Rodeo parade. Jacee can't wait until they get back so she can go with them again.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to say goodbye to them. We have been living with them for eight months, and when the time came for them to leave - it didn't seem like we had been together long enough.

My dad has always been game to do anything and everything. Growing up we were always water or snow skiing or playing basketball or just having fun together.


All I can say is "Ewww Grosss!" (as Maddie says). but I'm glad he was willing to work hard to provide for his family.

Some people didn't get to see the silly side of him - we did and I'm glad!

My mom may have been queen of the kitchen, but during canning season my dad was right there by her side helping can all those yummy peaches. I did find out however, that he ate almost as many fresh peaches during the process as we canned!

This is Abbey, my niece, and this just shows my dad is always there for the important days in our families lives. Baptisms, blessings, hard days, whatever - he's there.


I have been able to watch three of my brothers raise their families, and I am glad to report they are following in their wonderful father's footsteps. I feel grateful and just plain happy I have the dad I have - thanks for everything dad!!!!

5 comments:

Jogusboy said...

What a great Grandpa!

SAYDA said...

I love your dad! He sure has a special spirit that radiates. I'm am so thankful for the opportunity that I have had to meet him and work for him before he retired. Even if it was just for a couple of weeks. That first picture is so romantic. I love to see older adults being romantic. I miss you Julie. Hey last Sunday they called our Sweet Mindy to be activity days leader. I have a calling too, but they haven't announced it. I'll tell you later. Again... I miss you Julie. It makes me sick to my stomach to know you don't live in Burley anymore. Jackson looks older already :(

Walt and Eileen said...

Dad loved looking at these photos last night.
What nice comments from Jogusboy and Sayda.
He is a wonderful person yet he thiinks he falls so short of what he should be.
His goal is to have a tithe of his life serving missions and when we finish this one in March 2010, he will have 9 years...so he says he will be good till age 90. If he lives past 90 he will need to serve another mission.
Love, Mom - Argentina

SAYDA said...

By the way... our new address is
saydasjournal.blogspot.com

Since I use first names, I didn't want them connected to our last name.

Aubrey said...

You have a special dad! I miss you guys!